Re: Gnu Make

From: VardhanVarma
Subject: Re: Gnu Make
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:38:39 +0531

> makefile using a for loop. The problem is whenever a
> low level makefile has an error and reports an error,
> the top level make continues with the next make in the
> loop. I need the top level makefile to stop inside the
> for loop when a low level make has an error.

   After the obvious suggestion to search the net for a
   paper titled "Recursive Make Considered Harmful", i
   have a few feelings:

1. Check your makefile. Most probably you are using a shell script
   like this
all: for x in $DIRS\
      (cd $x ; make)

    This will of course not work, since lowerlevel's make's retgurn
    code is being ignored.
    Instead try something like this:
     (cd $x ; make ; if $? != 0 exit 1 )
    (suit to your particular /bin/sh )

2. something like this
   i write a macro to have each directory in $DIRS with a _dir extension
  ( e.g. (src lib) ==> (src_dir lib_dir)
   And have rule such as
all_dir:  $(DIRS_dir)

$(DIRS_dir):