problems with make

From: jaros
Subject: problems with make
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:29:16 +0100

Hello .
I could't install postgreSQL on my server. Help me please.
My information about my system:
- operating system - Solaris 2.6 for SPARC
SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-23 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
I have installed also:
-     gcc-2.8.1-sol26-sparc-local.gz
- gmake-3.78-sol2.6.tar.Z
- make-3.76.1-sol26-sparc-local.gz
After typing

$ make
I get message:
You must use GNU make to use Postgres.  It may be installed
on your system with the name 'gmake'.

NOTE:  If you are sure that you are using GNU make and you are
       still getting this message, you may simply need to run
       the configure program.

$ gmake
I get message :
gmake: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected

Any help would be appreciated.