Re: Oddity with make and % macro

From: Brian J. Murrell
Subject: Re: Oddity with make and % macro
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:45:45 -0800

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 10:43:50AM -0500, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> %% "Brian J. Murrell" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   bjm> I guess that one cannot use the % macro in .SECONDARY targets?
>
> Correct.

:-(

> It's simple to keep a target from being considered intermediate, if you
> want, by merely mentioning it as a prerequisite somewhere in the
> makefile.

Well that is what made sense to me, that does not work; hence my
posting the question about it.

Given the make rules:

sync%: .sync-foo-% .sync-bar-%
        echo "all done"

.sync-foo-%: foo
        @DEST=$(subst .sync-foo-,,$@); \
        echo Sending foo file to $$DEST; \
        scp ...
        touch $@

.sync-bar-%: bar-%
        @DEST=$(subst .sync-bar-,,$@); \
        echo Sending bar file to $$DEST; \
        scp ...
        touch $@

and the command:

# make synctest

I still get:

Sending foo file to test
touch .sync-foo-test
Sending bar file to test
touch .sync-bar-test
echo "all done"
all done
rm .sync-foo-test .sync-bar-test

The only way I have been able to get it to work is with .PRECIOUS.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell