Finding the name of the makefile

From: Vernon E. Peets
Subject: Finding the name of the makefile
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 09:14:56 -0700

I am currently in the middle of a transition from platform specific make to GNUmake. The project is still under development by other team members so I am unable to drop the current makefiles entirely.

I have created "GNUmakefile"s knowing that these will be "found" during execution prior to the existing "Makefile"s but I have run into a small problem during the generation of dependencies.

        depend:
                makedepend $(flags) $(wildcard *.c)

Standard behavior appends the dependencies to "Makefile" or "makefile" whichever if found first. Adding "-f GNUmakefile" to the command will require that each of these files be modified later when the GNUmakefiles are renamed to Makefile to complete the trasition.

Question: Is there a variable that contains the name of the makefile being executed?

        depend:
                makedepend -f $(<variable>) $(wildcard *.c)

Thanks,
Vern.