Error 127 when using make utility

From: Tony Jia
Subject: Error 127 when using make utility
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:37:20 -0700 (PDT)

Both make3.78.1 and make-3.79 make utilities return
same error 127:

make: ar: Command not found

I downloaded both make-3.78.1.tar.gz and
make-3.79.tar.gz then use the command:
gunzip < make-3.7*.tar.gz | tar xvf -
to unzip the package. After that, I did the following:

cd make-3.7* (The directory containing the unzipped
              package)
sh ./configure (for csh)
sh ./build.sh  (I saw ar.c was compiled)

After make is installed in the same directory, I
thought it's ready to do some work. The package I
tried
to use make is tcl8.3.3.
Any clue?
Help is very much appreciated.