Re: search for dependancy fails

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: search for dependancy fails
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:31:55 -0400

%% "Cal McPherson" <address@hidden> writes:

  cm> <html><DIV>Hi,</DIV>

Please don't post HTML to the list; plain text is quite sufficient.
Note that your example was reformatted so it was very difficult to read
because of this (lines were concatenated, etc...

  cm> <DIV>env %.h ../inc&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; # doesnt work with full path
either</DIV>

I'm sure you mean "vpath" here, not "env".

You don't show the actual compile line, but this:

  cm> allocatlor.c:5:23: allocator.h: No such file or directory

Is an error generated by your compiler, _NOT_ by GNU make.  GNU make
found the prerequisite just fine (otherwise you could have gotten an
error such as "don't know how to make allocator.h" or similar), then it
invoked your compiler, and your _compiler_ couldn't find the header
file.

Make sure you add all VPATH directories where headers might be found to
your compile line; there's an example in the GNU make manual on one way
to do this.

HTH...

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/