Re: avoiding re-exec make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: avoiding re-exec make
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:24:24 -0400

%% Nicholas Leippe <address@hidden> writes:

(Is there some reason your emails are only using ~half the standard
message width? :)

  nl> My question now is this: if there are
  nl> just 2 dependency files, and they need
  nl> to be recalculated since a .h file
  nl> is outdated, will make rebuild both and
  nl> only re-exec itself once,

Yes.

  nl> or rebuild them one at a time re-execing itself twice?

No.

GNU make tries to build all the included files (it'll even build them in
parallel, if you have that enabled and it can).

After that, if any of them actually changed, it'll re-exec.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/