Trouble installing "make"

From: John Heath
Subject: Trouble installing "make"
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 12:14:40 -0000

Hi
I am learning C and using DJGPP under MSDOS.
DJGPP works fine and for me and I am trying to progress to using "make".

I read the introductory tutorials for make (but these dont cover download).

From ftp:\\ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/make/  I chose to download "make-3.79.tar.gz"
which with short DOS name became "make-3~1.gz".
To unzip this I used "   gzip -d -N make-3~1.gz   " which decompressed
producing a single file which seems to contain lots of different objects
including makefiles and c-source code

1. How do you separate these objects?
and
2. How do you compile "make" from these when you dont have "make" already?
or
3. Can you download "make" as an executable?

Sorry to bug you with this simple problem but the helps, faqs etc are all at a much higher level.

Regards  John Heath