Re: details required on wildcard function

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: details required on wildcard function
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:52:35 -0500

%% Regarding details required on wildcard function; you wrote:

  bg> I am trying to get a list of files required, from a file which
  bg> contains the root location of the required files. The contents of
  bg> file can be any thing

  bg> 1. absolute location
  bg> 2. An env variable pointing to the absolute location.

  bg> When I try to use wildcard function, wildcard gives only the files
  bg> present in the root location whose absolute location is given, but
  bg> doesnot list the files at root location obtained from the
  bg> environment variable.

Definitely.  And why should it?

The wildcard function is a builtin function in GNU make (using the GNU C
runtime globbing functions directly).  Make does not invoke a shell or
anything to handle wildcarding.

So, the shell does not expand your environment variables; instead if you
had a filename like $ROOT/foodir make looks for path with the literal
string '$ROOT/foodir', not whatever $ROOT expands to.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/