Printing info in makefiles

From: Jordi_Guerrero
Subject: Printing info in makefiles
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:59:39 +0000

   Hi.

   I'm trying to print progress info in a makefile. My makefile that looks
like this:

ifeq ($(OS_VER), WINDOWS)
    PRG_ECHO = cmd /Q /C echo
else
ifeq ($(OS_VER), UNIX)
    PRG_ECHO = echo
endif
endif

ifndef VERSION
    $(PRG_ECHO) Warning - VERSION not specified.
endif

   If I start the line $(PRG_ECHO) Warning... with spaces I get the error
"missing separator". If I start that line with a tab character I get the
error "commands commence before first target".
   I just want to print info from the makefile to the standard output. How
can I do it?

   Thanks,

Jordi Guerrero
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
http://www.scee.com

address@hidden

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for all known viruses.

 SCEE 2001