Re: disappearing rule

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: disappearing rule
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:15:27 -0400

%% Karen Paffendorf <address@hidden> writes:

  kp> The rule has some non-variable data which is still not found in
  kp> the db.  I am actually suspecting VPATH/vpath stuff.

OK, I want to make sure we are talking about the same things.  When you
say "not found in the db", you mean not found in make's internal
database of targets, variables, and rules, right?  And you've verified
this by running make with the -p option (and all other options the same)
and examined the output and discovered that the data is not there?

There's no way that I can think of that VPATH/vpath could be a factor
here, because those variables aren't consulted until make wants to build
targets, which is after make has completely read all the makefiles into
its internal DB.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/