Re: Pb with normal and implicit rules

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Pb with normal and implicit rules
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:21:21 -0400

%% Philippe HAUTION <address@hidden> writes:

  ph> When trying to migrate form Sun Make to gnu Make on Solaris 8, I am
  ph> getting the following error message :
  ph> Makefile:179: *** mixed implicit and normal rules.  Stop.

  ph> where line 179 is :

  ph>  ../$(objdird)/%.o  ../$(objdirr)/%.o : %.cc

This message means that there are targets listed on the left-hand side
which do not contain a pattern character (%).

Since none is obvious here, my suspicion is that somewhere in your path
(results of `pwd`) you have a directory which contains a space, or
somehow the value of the ssp variable contains a space.

After you've defined objdird/objdirr, try putting this line in for
debugging:

  __d := $(shell echo '../$(objdird)/%.o  ../$(objdirr)/%.o' 1>&2)

and see what it prints.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/