Probably a v.small doubt

From: Karthikesh Raju
Subject: Probably a v.small doubt
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:18:33 +0300

Hi Everybody,

i was wanting to write a make file for processing my latex files,
papers and slides. My problem was that i got struck at a fairly early
stage because i wanted to set a variable which was as:

/------
define make-final
@${ECHO} "  "
@${ECHO} "---- Running TEX System for $<"
-@(${EGREP} -qi '*foil*' $<  && \
              ${ECHO} "---- Slides : Running PdfLaTeX on $<" && \
              TEXSYSTEM=pdflatex) || \
              (${ECHO} "---- Paper  : Running LaTeX on $<" && \
              TEXSYSTEM=latex)
TEXSYSTEM $<
endef

----------/

Now the variable TEXSYSTEM doesnot seem to contain the preferred
processor, and so the final command for processing fails. i want to know
methods by which this variable can be accessed within the define and also
exported to (maybe) other defines.

Thankx in advance,

Wishes
karthik

PS: i have also posted it to comp.unix.shell

Karthikesh Raju,                    email: address@hidden
Researcher,                         http://www.cis.hut.fi/karthik
Helsinki University of Technology,  Tel: +358-9-451 5389
Laboratory of Comp. & Info. Sc.,    Fax: +358-9-451 3277
Department of Computer Sc.,
P.O Box 5400, FIN 02015 HUT,
Espoo, FINLAND