looking for a makefile methodology

From: Martin d'Anjou
Subject: looking for a makefile methodology
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:48:55 -0400 (EDT)

I am looking fo a makefile methodology. Not for how to write rules or
details like that.

I have read the GNU make manual and the http://www.paulandlesley.org/
papers. I have also looked at
http://atlas.web.cern.ch/Atlas/GROUPS/SOFTWARE/DOCUMENTS/srt_html/c24702884.html

I am still missing some fundamental things like:

- Where are makefile located, in the same directory as source files?

- How do I avoid duplicating rules in every makefile?

- Where are users expected to build targets? i.e. one level above the
source files dir? inside them?

- Where should test cases reside? In which makefile do I put the rules for
compiling a test and running it?

- How do I link the dependencies such that making a test causes the entire
project to be re-compiled (if and only-if necessary)? How do I get the
rules to cross over directories when dependencies are located elsewhere?

- How do I make the targets (objects and executables) re-locatable (i.e.
building on local drives instead of network drives) without re-writing the
rules?

Do you know of a book that talks about some advanvced makefile
methodology?

I am not using C, nor Java, so it would be good if the book was not too
language centric.

Thanks
Martin d'Anjou