Re: Capturing and converting makefile output

From: Soren A
Subject: Re: Capturing and converting makefile output
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 02:00:00 +0000 (UTC)

"Paul Power" <address@hidden> wrote around 07 Oct 2002
news:address@hidden:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been a reasonably heavy user of gnu make over the
> Previous few years and the one thing I would really like
> To see is a way to capture the output from a makefile
> ( errors and standard completion ) and convert it to a
> given format.

The screen output from 'make' depends upon what tools 'make' is invoking
(on what's in a given Makefile). Therefore there's no telling what might
get printed to the screen! If you are talking only about 'make' output
itself then there is a predictable format, but it is always going to be
thoroughly interlaced with the output of the many other tools 'make'
calls.

So i am not *sure* what you are talking about, but it sounds like it
might be close to an idea I have often had, and so it sounds cool. I
hope you pursue it.

> Does anyone know if this has been done already

Yes and no. Not being precisely sure what you are after, i can only
guess, and anyway I have just fuzzy recollections. I seem to recall
coming across a project that is related to the (G)VIM editor, wherein
'make' can be invoked and if any error takes place it gets thrown over
to VIM which opens up some window on some file. See vim.sf.net.

There is also the 'screen' program which has been ported to many
*nix-like OSs and which has the function of recording in a file the
verbatim activity (all input from wehatver sources and all output) that
takes place on the screen (terminal, console) during its execution. This
is available as an Open Source app (Prob. a GNU version). According to
one possible interpretation of what you are after, 'screen' is all you
need.

> or is there a grammer/convention document anywhere

It sounds like Paul Smith has previously directed you towards that in
his other reply.

> that describes the possible outputs from a make execution and
> I'll see if I can put something together ? Obviously
> I'd prefer not to have to invent the wheel :-)

Always better not to unless of course the existing wheel is actually more
of a lopsided prism ;-).

> Thanks in advance,]

You are welcome...
   Soren A