Need to get $MAKEFLAGS value only

From: gk
Subject: Need to get $MAKEFLAGS value only
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 03:02:04 -0700

My wrapper application adds some options and passes other options through to Gnu make. I would like to call make and get the value of $MAKEFLAGS without actually building anything.

In other words, rather than emulating Gnu make's options parsing, I would like to call Gnu make, passing some parameters and get back the value of $MAKEFLAGS, without the -C, -o, -W, -f options which aren't ever included in $MAKEFLAGS, and without the targets of course.

Of course I could call my application back, from a makefile rule, and get $MAKEFLAGS since it is always exported but then I'd be in a subshell which is not what I want.

I don't suppose there is a way to do this since there is no option documented. I was just wondering if there are library functions I could call to do this.
Thanks,
Greg Keraunen <address@hidden>