Re: basic question?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: basic question?
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:56:44 -0400

%% address@hidden writes:

  bg> I have one basic question, If I am including several other
  bg> makefiles in my main makefile.  How is this handled by gmake? Are
  bg> all the included makefiles read, before gmake starts processing.

Yes.

All makefiles of all kinds (from MAKEFILES, -f options, default
makefiles, and included makefiles) are completely read in and parsed,
before make starts trying to build anything.

Make has to do this, since it never knows whether the next part of the
file might add some more prerequisites, etc. to targets that it needs to
build.