Re: MAKE: version numbering scheme?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: MAKE: version numbering scheme?
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:01:29 -0500

The scheme is, I make it up as I go along :).

Basically, I increment the minor version by 1 for every release.
Sometimes in the past if there's a serious bug in a release I'll make a
quick followup bugfix release, then I give that a third value.

But, I'm not doing that anymore--any new release, no matter what, will
have a new number: 3.80, 3.81, 3.82, 3.83, etc.

Someday I suppose I'll have to jump to 4.0 but I don't really have any
idea what kind of change would make that jump necessary: integrating
Guile?  Adding state?