Re: problem in installing gnumake

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: problem in installing gnumake
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:01:38 -0400

%% Dagang Wang <address@hidden> writes:

  dw> I tried to install GNU make 3.80 in our workstation. Our
  dw> workstation is Compaq Alpha.  When I types the command
  dw> "./configure" at first step, it worked. Then, when I typed the
  dw> command "make", the error message is as follows:

  dw>    cc: Error: main.c, line 896: In this statement, "bsd_signal(...)" and
"(__sigfp)
  dw> 1" cannot be compared for equality or inequality. (noequality)
  dw>   FATAL_SIG (SIGHUP);
  dw> --^

Hmm.  There is something strange about your system.  It will take some
work to figure out how to convince configure to handle it properly.
Please send me (directly, no need to send this to the mailing list) the
following information:

  * Run "uname -a" and send me the results

  * From the make source top-level directory, run:

      /bin/sh config/config.guess

    and send me the results.

  * From the make source top-level directory, send me the config.h file
    that configure generated.

That's a start anyway.  If you now how to get preprocessed output from
your compiler (that is, the output of the preprocessor before the
compiler starts on it) it would be interesting to see the preprocessed
output of the main.c file.  If not, don't worry about it for now.