Re: Reusing the result of a shell command

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Reusing the result of a shell command
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:24:45 -0400

%% Sébastien Hinderer <address@hidden> writes:

  sh> I would like to know if it is possible to store the result of a
  sh> shell command into a make variable (locally in a rule), or, let's
  sh> say, is it a way to use the result of a shell command more than
  sh> once. Keeping the result of the command in a shell variable
  sh> wouldn't help much, since I'd like to be able to perform text
  sh> operations make makes easy, such as substitution.

MAKEVAR := $(shell some command)

This isn't local to a rule, though, it's global to the makefile.  If you
want to do it in a rule, you should just use the shell and not make.
It's not much harder to use sed or whatever to translate the results
than it is to use make functions.