Re: make and c++ exceptions

From: Steve Hutton
Subject: Re: make and c++ exceptions
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 01:25:39 -0400

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 12:33 am, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> %% Steve Hutton <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   sh> I wonder if when called through make, the program somehow loads
>   sh> the wrong version of libstdc++ or glibc?
>
> Don't know what to tell you... anything's possible but I don't see how
> this could be.  Make passes down to its subcommands the same environment
> that it was given (plus any changes in the makefile of course).

I just compiled make itself using gcc 3.2.1, (the compiler version
that was giving me the problem) and the problem goes away when
I use my new make.

So it certainly appears that I introduced a strange incompatibility
by compiling make using a different compiler than my test program.
I just can't explain exactly what the incompatibity is, and why it
doesn't occur between bash and my test program.

To test my theory that perhaps the same glibc version that a calling
program uses must be used by programs it launches with the shell,
I created a test program calling system:

#include <stdlib.h>
int main()
{
   return system("./return0throw");
}

However, even when I compile this program with gcc 2.95.3 and compile
the return0throw program using 3.2.1, the program correctly returns 0.

Steve