Re: Multiple targets with one command

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Multiple targets with one command
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:23:14 -0500

%% Noel Yap <address@hidden> writes:

  ny> The issue is that make will execute the action once for each target.

No it won't.  This example uses a pattern rule: pattern rules behave
differently in this respect: multiple LHS targets are all considered to
be updated with one invocation of the command script.

The problem is that not every target/prerequisite relationship can be
expressed as a pattern rule.  For those that can't you're SOL.

  ny> Paul had posted a solution to this issue, but, IMHO, using marker
  ny> files for such a thing is a bit of a hack.

No doubt about it.  Very unsatisfying.