Passin targets during recursive calls to make

From: Sébastien Hinderer
Subject: Passin targets during recursive calls to make
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:29:31 +0100

Dear all,

I would like to write a Makefile which would essentially call other
Makefiles and pass them the target it received on the command-line.

For instance if there are two subdirectories d1 and d2, and if I enter the
command :
$ make targetxyz

the following commands should be called :

make -C d1 targetxyz
make -C d2 targetxyz

The problem is that the number of targets that will have to be processed
this way is big. So, I would like to avoid something like :

target1 :
        make -C d1 target1
        make -C d2 target1

target2 :
        make -C d1 target2
        make -C d2 target2

target3 :
        make -C d1 target3
        make -C d2 target3

etc.

Rather, I would like to have a general rule matching all targets (except,
say, clean and distclean which would be processed in an other way), and
transmitting the target recursively.

If someone knows how this can be achieved, I'd really appreciate your
help.
By the way, please don't blame me for not having read the maouals. I read
them. Maybe not carefully enough, sorry.

Best wishes,
Sébastien.