Re: how to suppress the included makefile not found warning?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: how to suppress the included makefile not found warning?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:19:07 -0500

%% Andre Majorel <address@hidden> writes:

  >> A single line of a makefile is interpreted to be a single line of a
  >> makefile, even if the expansion includes newlines.

  am> Not for recipes, apparently:

  am> Why it works for generating recipes and not for target-dependencies
  am> lines, is a complete mystery to me.

Because rule lines are parsed during the initial read of the makefile on
a line-by-line basis.  Once a line is read in the parser treats it as
one line for the purposes of deciding what it is.

Command scripts are parsed when the rule is about to be executed, and
they are split up at that time.  Plus make doesn't have to interpret the
lines, it just sends them to the shell to interpret.