Re: Are there other tools?

From: Mike Gibson
Subject: Re: Are there other tools?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:19:33 -0700

I'd like to add my two cents.

My single biggest problem with other build tools is that they are all about
building programs.  Make is so much more than that.  I use make every day for
work unrelated to building code projects.  I have yet to find another tool
like make that will do anything other than build code.  As such, make is the
only option for me.

Would it be nice to have a new make-like tool that doesn't have to worry about
backwards compatibility?  Yes.  But no one has yet come up with a system that
is as quick and easy as make.  No I don't want to have to write XML.  It may
be human readable, but it certainly isn't user-typeable.  Too much fluff.
And a GUI isn't the solution either.  No matter how nice a GUI is, it can
never be as expressive as code.

The successor to make is going to have to look a lot like make to be
successful.

Mike Gibson
address@hidden