Re: gmake: How to delete Pref3$1.class

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: gmake: How to delete Pref3$1.class
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:30:53 -0500

%% address@hidden (Alexander Farber) writes:

  af> Yes, but this doesn't work for me:

  af> newhope:alex {1011} cat Makefile
  af> all:
  af>         touch $$test
  af> clean:
  af>         rm $$test
  af> newhope:alex {1012} gmake all
  af> touch $test
  af> usage: touch [-acfm] [-r file] [-t time] file ...
  af> gmake: *** [all] Error 1

This isn't a GNU make problem.  Try running your command at a shell
prompt, without make involved at all, and you'll see identical behavior.

Make is passing your command line to the shell, then the shell is
interpreting it as well.  The shell uses $ as a variable start token, so
you have to quote it to the shell as well as to make.  Either of these
will work (see your shell man page for more information on shell
quoting):

  all:
            touch \$$test

Or