Re: Are there any stable source tags/dates for gmake 3.80+

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Are there any stable source tags/dates for gmake 3.80+
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:34:59 -0500

%% Sandy Currier <address@hidden> writes:

  sc> Question: are there any stable labels (or date stamps) on the cvs
  sc> gmake source tree that I can reference when pulling down the
  sc> sources?  I would like to build a more recent but somewhat stable
  sc> version of 3.80+.

Unfortunately I don't really create CVS tags except for real releases.
The goal is that the HEAD of the CVS archives is _ALWAYS_ valid and
buildable; I never commit code unless I think it works.  So, if
something breaks please let me know.

  sc> I tried something from earlier this week, and it has a failing test.

The test failure was a bug in the test; I just committed a fix for
that.  It passes 100% for me (on Debian GNU/Linux) right now.

  sc> I tried something from around 2004 jan 22, but that does not
  sc> build.  (I did get that drop to build by copying the doc and po
  sc> directories from a 2004 feb build since the build errors were in
  sc> those directories.)

This build failure is almost certainly due to problems caused by the
Savannah crack.  The way we used to handle downloading these files broke
when the ftp.gnu.org site was "cleaned up".

  sc> Any pointers to a recent and stable tag/date would be much
  sc> appreciated.

The code at HEAD right now should be good.  I haven't run my full test
suite on it (valgrind/other ports/etc.) but I think it's OK.