Re: stem substitution

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: stem substitution
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:29:01 -0400

%% Mike Popham <address@hidden> writes:

  mp> In the July 2000 post:
  mp> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg00107.html
  mp> it says "An upcoming new feature in GNU make will allow for
  mp> this sort of thing"

  mp> I can't find any reference to a new feature that does this.
  mp> Was it ever added, and if so, how would I go about using it?

The feature referred to here is $(eval ...).  And yes, it was added as
of GNU make 3.80.

For example you could do something like:

define MYPROCESS
$(TARGETDIR)/$(1) : $(subst .,.i,$(1))
        myprocess $$< $$@
endef

$(foreach T,$(TARGETS),$(eval $(call MYPROCESS,$(T))))