Re: implicit rules

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: implicit rules
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:13:30 -0400

Yeah, I was considering using $(eval) to get make to do what I wanted but first
wanted to be sure there's no other way to get what I want.

I'd probably go with Boris's patch but it's unlikely our support will want to
bring that in, useful as it is, unless GNU make is going to adopt it.

Thanks,
Noel

Paul D. Smith wrote:

%% Boris Kolpackov <address@hidden> writes:

  bk> Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> writes:
  >> %% Boris Kolpackov <address@hidden> writes:
>> bk> /%.mk: $$(notdir\ /%.m) >> >> This will only work if you patch make to re-expand the prerequisites a
  >> second time when it's matching pattern rules.  This is not normal make
  >> behavior.

  bk> But he asked if I had any patches to help him... ;-)

You can also do it with eval, without requiring a patch, if you can
somehow find a list of the subdirectories you want to handle.

For example, if you have a list of the target makefiles you want to
build:

    MKFILES = foo/bar.mk bar/baz.mk baz/boz.mk

then you can get a list of directories with $(dir ) etc., then you can
write a loop with eval to declare the proper implicit rules (or even use
explicit ones if you like).