Re: interface to make?

From: Glenn Fowler
Subject: Re: interface to make?
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 02:23:22 -0400 (EDT)

this web paper from 1994

        http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/mam/

describes the MAM (make abstract machine) language for instrumenting
make for static, runtime, and regression analysis

MAM is strictly readonly; there is no control channel back to make
MAM output is written to a file and there are no other signals or events

the paper provides details, with examples, and also a link to a
patch that adds MAM to make-3.81beta1

a popular MAM application renders makefile dependency graphs
check out the AST nmake dependency graph for make-3.81beta1

        http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/mam/gmake-nmake.ps.gz

most MAM output is the result of "walking the graph":
        pattern metarule application,
        variable assignments (listed on first use)
        per-target variable assignments,
        action success or failure,
        concurrent action execution

although MAM is similar to -d output, MAM syntax and semantics
provide a stable base for makefile analysis

-- Glenn Fowler -- AT&T Labs Research, Florham Park NJ --

%% maman yonatan <address@hidden> writes:

  my> is there any mechanism for subscribing make events,
  my> like new rule was found, new variable was set, a
  my> pattern stem was matched etc. ?