Re: deferred evaulation of function calls

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: Re: deferred evaulation of function calls
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:52:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Paul D. Smith wrote:

> You are running into the directory cache.
>
> If you modify the contents of a directory "behind make's back" then
> things like wildcard, etc. may not work properly since they operate on
> the cached version not the real directory contents.

ah, so what this tells me is that, if i want to match a wildcard pattern
and i use the wildcard() function, there really is no effective difference
if i do that at the top of my makefile with either of:

files = $(wildcard *.o)
files := $(wildcard *.o)

if, as you say, it's the cached version that is used to evaluate these,
then in that respect they really are equivalent for what i was doing with
them.

rday