passing variable values to subsequent make calls

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: passing variable values to subsequent make calls
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 08:15:21 -0400 (EDT)

  what's the preferred way to pass some variable values to multiple
levels of recursive makes?

  i realize that, first, i can assign and export variables, as in

        export ARCH=ppc

and that variable will be available to all of my subsequent recursive
makes.  but i've always been kind of leery of exporting variables at a top
level of *anything* -- it reminds me too much of setting a global
variable.

  if, in some makefile, i use

        ${MAKE} ARCH=ppc <subdir>

is it correct that that variable will only be visible just to that
subdirectory make unless i explicitly set it again for further recursive
calls?

  finally, i see in the make docs the construct:

        MAKE := ${MAKE} ARCH=ppc

does this mean that, wherever i use the ${MAKE} invocation in any
recursive makefile, that ARCH is automatically defined for all sub-makes
all the way down?  i guess that's the way that would appeal to me the
most, if that's how it works.

rday