Re: short followup on vpath/VPATH stuff

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: short followup on vpath/VPATH stuff
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:13:37 -0400

%% "Robert P. J. Day" <address@hidden> writes:

  rpjd> if i try to do the "make all" in one step, the prereqs foo.o and
  rpjd> bar.o are found to be based on the source files foo.c and bar.c
  rpjd> in the *current* directory so that, even after the object files
  rpjd> are placed in ${OBJDIR}, make has already associated the object
  rpjd> files with the current directory and therefore gets confused in
  rpjd> that final link step, right?

Correct.  Make always expects every rule it runs to create the file
stored in $@, and exactly that file.  It doesn't go around after the
rule is done trying to figure out where the file was created.

  rpjd> however, if i build the object files in one make invocation, and
  rpjd> then follow that with "make foo", that will work since that
  rpjd> second (independent) "make foo" *will* use VPATH to find the
  rpjd> (missing) object files that already exist in the ${OBJDIR}
  rpjd> directory.  so far, so good?

Correct.