Re: Question on patten matching and GNUmake

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Question on patten matching and GNUmake
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 01:56:46 -0400

%% Praveen Jain <address@hidden> writes:

  pj> 2)  I've few targets (such as sup, lc) but too many libs in
  pj>     various directories. So to reduce permutations, I tried to do
  pj>     following instead

  pj> sup/%.so lc/%.so:
  pj>     @mkdir -p $(@D)
  pj>     $(LD) $(LIBLDOPTS) $^ -o $@

I think you are misunderstanding how multiple left-hand side patterns in
a pattern rule work.  Please check out the GNU make manual for a
discussion of this.

For example, what does $@ expand to when your rule is invoked?

  pj> 2.2) In makefile now I do:

  pj> %/libbmp.so: %/a.o %/b.o

Again, I think you are misunderstanding what having a pattern rule with
no command means; please check out the GNU make manual.

  pj> Any suggestions/pointers will be highly appreciated. I'm using
  pj> 3.80 version of GNU make.

It feels to me like you're expecting pattern rules to have all the same
behaviors as explicit rules.  They don't.  There are some very definite
differences between them; these are described in the manual.  If you
still have questions after looking at that please let us know.

Cheers!