RE: probs with eval

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: probs with eval
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:27:25 -0400

%% "Joshi, Vikas" <address@hidden> writes:

  jv> I am sure I am not using 3.8.

Then eval won't work (it's 3.80, not 3.8...)

  jv> If I cannot upgrade then what are my options other than explicitly
  jv> mentioning all the expandable constructs ? If there is a patch for
  jv> eval for the version I am using then I might be able to use the
  jv> patch but for sure cannot upgrade at this time.

There is no patch.

The only option for writing dynamic rules in versions of make older than
3.80 is to use the auto-re-exec feature.  Make will re-invoke itself if
it can and does rebuild any of the makefiles it included.  So, something
like this:

    include dynamic.mk

    dynamic.mk : Makefile
            <shell script to generate the makefile>