Exporting files before dependency file creation

From: adrian.gaunt
Subject: Exporting files before dependency file creation
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:19:30 -0000

Hi,

I have a problem with the exporting of files before dependency file creation
and wondered if anyone has a good suggestion of how I can overcome this issue.

Currently, I have to run a rule so that files are exported to the relevant
directories before dependency files are generated. However, I wondered if there
was a way of incorporating this requirement into the main build. The Make file
system used auto-generates the dependency lists for a component using the C
pre-processor. However, if the required files do not exist in the correct
directories, then the dependency files are incorrect\inaccurate - containing
incorrect file paths. This affects the system include files required.

The system used is based on include principle rather than recursive
architecture and therefore, the dependency files are included into the Make
build process. However, because of this implementation I'm finding it very
difficult to export files prior to the generation if dependency files. Because
the build system needs to piece together (include) all the necessary files
before moving to the next processing phase, I can't see a way of implementing a
rule before the dependency files are generated. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Adrian Gaunt