Re: include files with :=

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: include files with :=
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:27:29 -0500

%% Noel Yap <address@hidden> writes:

  dj> my_var:=$(shell script)

  ny> File open/close is a very expensive operation.  If you're
  ny> including many makefiles, this may be where your lag is coming
  ny> from.

File open/close is a trivial operation compared to invoking a shell,
though! :-)

  ny> Also, whenever you include a makefile, there's a chance that make
  ny> will re-exec although the details aren't coming to me right now.

If (a) make can find a rule that will build the included makefile, and
(b) that rule shows the included makefile is out of date, then make will
rebuild the included makefile and re-exec.