Re: how to manage an unmanageable recursive make structure?

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: Re: how to manage an unmanageable recursive make structure?
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:12:18 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

> Robert,
>
> Noel Yap wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > The only robust (eg makes no assumptions about include path)
> > solution is to #include "aoeu.h".  Also, since it first checks
> > the includer's directory, it's also much faster than traversing
> > the include path.
>
> However, some (buggy?) compiler takes #include "aoeu.h" from the
> current directory, which may be different from the source path
> specified on the command line. Such ambiguity may result using VPATH
> or vpath with GNU make.

but, as i read the gcc man page, using

  #include "aeou.h"

will *always* search the current directory first, regardless of what
you add with "-I".  it's my understanding that additional directories
you supply with "-I" will be searched after the current dir, but
before the standard system dirs.

is that not correct?

rday