Intermediate files are not being rebuilt

From: Simon De Groot
Subject: Intermediate files are not being rebuilt
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:16:58 +0100

Hi,

Consider the following makefile:

(begin)

.SECONDARY :

all : top

sub% : subsub%
        @echo Making $@
        @touch $@

t%p : sub1 sub2
        @echo Making $@
        @touch $@

clean :
        rm sub1 sub2 top

(end)

Assume that subsub1 and subsub2 exist. If I run 'make clean; make' I get:

Making sub1
Making sub2
Making top

Now, if I delete sub1, it will not be rebuilt the next time I run make:

csh> rm sub1
csh> make
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

Without the .SECONDARY target, sub1 and sub2 are deleted altogether after each run.

I'm not used to this behavior when I was using Solaris' make. Is there a way to enforce that prerequisites are forced to be rebuilt?

Regards,

Simon de Groot.