Are makefiles intended to be portable across platforms?

From: Angel Tsankov
Subject: Are makefiles intended to be portable across platforms?
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 00:05:40 +0300

Am I taking a bad path if I try to write one makefile to manage (e.g., build
& clean) a project on a couple of platforms?
I'm asking this question, 'casue makefiles seem not to be very portable,
right?
For example, to define a clean target one might have to write:

clean: ; if exist OutputFiles rmdir /S /Q OutputFiles

or

clean: ; if exist OutputFiles rmdir OutputFiles -R

depending on the platform that make is run on.

Regards,
Angel Tsankov