Re: Are makefiles intended to be portable across platforms?

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: Are makefiles intended to be portable across platforms?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:17:25 -0400

Technically, GNU makefiles themselves are extremely portable.

The difference you outline below are caused by the shell you're using.  If you
used the same shell, in combination with macros (with different definitions on
different platforms), you can have an extremely portable action as well.

Angel Tsankov wrote:

Am I taking a bad path if I try to write one makefile to manage (e.g., build & clean) a project on a couple of platforms? I'm asking this question, 'casue makefiles seem not to be very portable, right?
For example, to define a clean target one might have to write:

clean: ; if exist OutputFiles rmdir /S /Q OutputFiles

or

clean: ; if exist OutputFiles rmdir OutputFiles -R

depending on the platform that make is run on.

Regards,
Angel Tsankov