Re: Hard time figuring out what order-only prerequisites really do.

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: Hard time figuring out what order-only prerequisites really do.
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 09:39:45 -0400

First, it would be great if you could make your attachments as easy as possible (eg send text files only). It would be even better if you could create minimal makefiles (eg use "echo" rather than calling "gcc", eliminate unnecessary stuff like macros, ...) that demonstrate the problem and just paste them directly into the makefile. Many times, while trying to create this minimal example, you yourself can find and fix the problem. IOW, make it as easy as possible for others to help you.

It would also help if you could copy and paste command lines and output so we
can see what's going on.  Again, only post things you think contains
information that will help find the problem.

Anyway, what version of GNU make are you using?  Do you have all the necessary
patches installed?  Check on Savannah (http://savannah.gnu.org/).

Noel

Angel Tsankov wrote:

Can you first try to get it to work with just one file?

Noel

It works for a single file as long as I do not use pattern rules...
I've attached 2 makefiles, they only differ in the last but one line.
So, what's so special about pattern rules?