Re: Why is 'make -e' "not recommended practice"?

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: Why is 'make -e' "not recommended practice"?
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:09:13 -0400

On Thursday 07 July 2005 09:35 pm, Greg Chicares wrote:
> | (But this is not totally reliable; some makefiles set CFLAGS explicitly
> | and therefore are not affected by the value in the environment.)
>
> This is where my confusion begins. Instead of "not totally reliable",
> I think that's not at all safe to rely on, because the manual elsewhere
> *advocates* setting CFLAGS explicitly:

remember that -e affects more than just CFLAGS ... ive seen many makefiles use
simple internal variables that when you run `make -e` with, things break
everywhere (for example, python uses the makefile variable 'LIBC' but if you
have LIBC set in your env, python blows up with a really weird error message)

> Am I missing some obvious solution?

yes :)
try this:
CFLAGS ?= -g