"Advanced Auto-Dependency Generation" question

From: Anna Olsson
Subject: "Advanced Auto-Dependency Generation" question
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:28:25 +0200

I've read the "Advanced Auto-Dependency Generation" article - but I'm wondering about this:

The solution to the second problem (make reports an error when the dependecy file does not exist) is to make make not care about whether or not dependency files exist. But what if a dependency file is accidentaly deleted? Make doesn't care, but the corresponding target will never be rebuilt until the corresponding .c file is altered or the .o file is removed.

I would consider that to be a serious error! Did I miss something?

Best regards,
Anna