Re: Background process

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Background process
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:58:55 -0400

%% "Hridyesh Pant" <address@hidden> writes:

  hp> This is not related to Makefile but if somebody explain me "what
  hp> is the difference between Daemon and background process" in UNIX
  hp> will be great.

You're right: this is not related to make.  You should ask this question
on a UNIX programmers newsgroup (comp.unix.programmer for example).  Or
better yet, ask Google; there are lots of good docs on the web
describing this.

There is no precise definition of a daemon; however, a daemon is a
background process that, in addition to running in the background, also
has detached from its parent so that it's now owned by init (PID 1)
instead.  That's pretty much the bare minimum.

Also, typically it will close its stdin/stdout/stderr file descriptors
(or at least redirect them to some kind of log file).  Often it will
change its process group.  Some do other things like write their PID to
a file in /var/run or similar so they can be killed cleanly at shutdown.