Re: VPATH question - Gnu make vs. Lucent nmake

From: Johan Bezem
Subject: Re: VPATH question - Gnu make vs. Lucent nmake
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:42:34 +0200

Hi,

Meinecke, Jon wrote:
gmake's VPATH and vpath work fine for locating sources and
targets, but I don't see an obvious way to force a local build
target when the local source file is older than the common built object. Is this possible with gmake?

I do not quite understand why you would want to; but then, I do not know Lucent
nmake. If you have a common tree, you build everything including the final
object.
Now you "check out" a file into your local build tree from your common tree,
but you don't change anything. So your local source file remains older than your recent
build. Why would you want make to force another local build?
The way I use vptah/VPATH, the first directory indicated is my local source
tree/directory, the second is the common source tree. If a local source is found (no
matter what the date on that file is!), it is taken; otherwise the common tree is scanned
for a file with the correct name. I only need to remember to delete my local file on
"checking in".

Just a second: You try to use vpath/VPATH 'for locating ... targets'? Maybe there's the
root of your problems. VPATH/vpath find sources, not targets. Consult the manual, or read
Paul's excelent explanation "How Not to Use VPATH" at
http://make.paulandlesley.org/vpath.html.

HTH,

Johan
--
JB Enterprises - Johan Bezem         Tel:   +49 172 5463210
Software Architect - Project Manager Fax:   +49 172 50 5463210