debugging "make"?

From: Torsten Mohr
Subject: debugging "make"?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:13:44 +0200

Hi,

i compiled "make" (for Win32) and it works fine.

I'd like to check the Makefile of a large project
and for this i now think about where to do some
additional debug output (maybe along with some
timestamps).

Is something like this maybe already available in
"make" and i just need to enable it with a #define
parameter?

I'd like to measure the (very long) startup time
until the first command is executed.  I think in
this time "make" only checks the dependencies of
the targets abd the files they depend on, is that
correct?  Or is there anything else that takes a
lot of time at startup?

In what files would it make sense to add some debug
output to get some hint about the long startup time?

Best regards,
Torsten.