Re: Clarification: deleting intermediate files

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: Clarification: deleting intermediate files
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:51:44 +0000 (UTC)

Ken Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> I believe (from section 10.4 Chains of Implicit Rules and 10.5.1
> Introduction to Pattern Rules) that adding all the files explicitly to
> the dependency graph would automatically mark them all as intermediate.

I think that files, explicitly mentioned as targets or prerequisites,
are never intermediate, e.g.:

all: foo.o foo.h

%.o: %.c

%.c: %.c.m4

%.c: %.h.m4

foo.c is intermediate while foo.h is not.

> It is only marking .dvi and .ps as intermediate.

This could be a bug. test.dvi is the target that triggers
the rule. So perhaps the also_makes targets (%.aux %.log %.out) are
not properly checked for intermediateness. I've fixed quite a few
bug in the also_makes logic where properties that got set for
primary target were forgotten about when it came to also_makes
targets.

hth,
-boris