Re: use of wildcard function recursively

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: use of wildcard function recursively
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:33:18 -0500

%% "Chris Chiasson" <address@hidden> writes:

  cc> actually, it appears an issue with space handling is also preventing
  cc> rwildcard from working

  cc> does anyone have a way to obtain a recursive listing of all files
  cc> underneath a relative path that is robust against spaces (and
  cc> hopefully apostrophes too)?

What do you hope to do with this list?

You cannot, in general, use GNU make (or any other standard make) with
pathnames containing spaces.  It just won't work.  Pathnames in
makefiles are really parsed as text strings, and virtually every
function and internal processing splits the strings on whitespace.
Further, there is no 100% recognized and reliable way to quote
whitespace in these strings.

If you can't get rid of the spaces in your pathnames you'll need to find
an alternative tool for building your code.