Re: gnu make and windows path

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: Re: gnu make and windows path
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:47:53 -0700

Hi,

On 4/17/06, Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> %% Jim <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   j> In the old make system the windows environment variable PATH is
>   j> modified. It seems when i use GNU make it is not possible to update
>   j> this variable in a way that executables called by make such is
>   j> "gcc", "idl compiler", etc can see the modified variable.
>
> As Billy said, normally you just modify the make variable PATH and that
> is used as the shell's PATH.
>
> There may be some differences in how this behaves when using GNU make on
> Windows.
>
> First, if you're using Cygwin's implementation of GNU make rather than
> one from the FSF, you should contact the Cygwin folks: they have changes
> to their version that we don't know about.

I use the cygwin version quite a bit. Some versions of Windows use
PATH, while others use Path (this is a Windows thing and not a cygwin
thing). I have seen situation where I need to set both variables
before launched programs work properly (not sure if Windows or cygwin
was at fault here), so I am now in the habit of exporting Path :=
$(PATH) when using make (actually we're not using the make that comes
with cygwin, but we are using make 3.79 or 3.80 compiled using gcc
that comes with cygwin).

I know that cygwin messes with the PATH, since it converts the Windows
semi-colon separated list with backslashes into a colon separated list
with forward slashes.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada